Thursday, September 29, 2005

wxDB instead of API

I've been looking closely at the API functionality for various database that I intend on supporting for Test Bed. API is faster, there is no doubt about that as it is the best supported method of database access from the vendor, however the code that would need to be written for this method is arduous and time comsuming.

Within the first release of Test Bed, likely to only support MySQL or Firebird it would take me at least 2-3 weeks just to develop a wrapper around the API. There are existing wrappers for this API but they are not consistant and I'm not convinced that I can get an open source one that will work effectively.

I have decided that the tests I'm going to run are going to include wxDB. wxWidgets are a set of open source C++ classes for various things, in this case ODBC database access. They are cross platform and widely supported and recommended. ODBC means that I will likely sacrifice speed and efficiency for development time, I believe this is the best course to take.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home